One of the most important areas of the home is the kitchen, however it can also be one of the most expensive rooms to update.
Many Australian homeowners decide to makeover their kitchen before selling to attract more buyers and achieve a higher sale price, but they often don’t have a huge amount of money to spend.
If you want to improve the appearance of your kitchen without spending up big then there are some small and inexpensive changes you can make that can drastically improve the overall look of your kitchen.
Here are some ideas:
1. Update cabinet handles – Kitchen cabinet handles can instantly give away your kitchen’s age, as styles and materials tend to change quite frequently. If you think your handles could do with an update, there are plenty of modern cabinet handles to choose from in a variety of price ranges, so you’re sure to find a style that suits your kitchen and home décor. Plus, handles are easy to replace without needing to hire any help.
2. Replace cabinet doors – If your kitchen cabinets are all regular sizes then you should easily be able to find new doors to help give your kitchen an instant new look. This is a much cheaper option then ripping out your entire kitchen and starting from scratch and if you’re handy then it shouldn’t be too hard to DIY.
3. Replace the splashback – For a more dramatic change, you might like to consider a colourful new splashback. You’ll probably need to spend a little bit more to get somebody in to help you do this, but you’ll be surprised at the difference a splashback can make not only to your kitchen, but to the overall style and theme of your home. All sorts of materials can be used for a splashback, including tiles, glass, stone, laminate, mirrors and more.
4. Install new benchtops – Benchtops tend to look worn over time, so this might be where you want to focus your budget. Natural stones, timber and stainless steel are all popular options but if you want to save money then laminate is not only affordable but it is also versatile, low maintenance and it can still look very good.
5. Paint – If your kitchen is in fairly good condition then it might just need a little bit of paint to help give it a bit of a lift. Paint is one of the easiest ways to change cabinets, drawers or even your splashback or benchtops, just make sure that you choose the right kind of paint to suit your surface.