157 Range Road, Goulburn
ROSSIVILLE HOMESTEAD Lifestyle - Property ID: 746096
"Rossiville Homestead" is situated only five minutes from Goulburn city centre and benefits from a peaceful rural environment. The land comprises some 170 acres of gently undulating, fertile country and over two kilometres of frontage to the Wollondilly River. It is superbly watered with reticulated water to all paddocks, as well as a 60 megalitre irrigation licence from the river. The 1826 homestead is of immense character. Built of stone its ambience is enhanced by its high ceilings, polished floors and open fireplaces. It sits within a private, old world garden of great beauty, together with a tennis court and in-ground pool. Adjacent to the homestead is a sandstone, two-storey coach house in original condition and displaying exquisite timbers to the upper floor. Additional improvements include a sandstone grooms quarters, Olympic-sized arena and significant farm shedding and stabling. As one of Goulburn's original properties "Rossiville" Homestead" offers a genuine opportunity to acquire a portion of the district's heritage. "Rossiville" was established by Captain Francis Nicholas Rossi in 1826, when he received a grant of 2560 acres from Governor Darling for his services to the state after a successful term as Police Superintendent of New South Wales. Captain Rossi was a very colourful figure in Goulburn's history.
In June 1826 he was appointed a magistrate and both his Sydney home at Rushcutters Bay and Rossiville developed an air of considerable substance.
Francis Nicholas Rossi died at "Rossiville" at the age of seventy five in 1851 and was succeeded by his eldest son Count Francis Rossi who took over the estate. The estate was run by Managers and Stations hands and Count Francis Rossi's main interest was the breeding of racehorses. Count Rossi married but did not have any children.
In 1890 The Government purchased Rossiville for the purpose of establishing a hospital. The council protested about the proposal and a decision to build elsewhere was re affirmed. The Government still held the Rossiville property in 1900 but was later sold to the Department of Agriculture in 1908 with the view to establishing an experimental farm. Nothing came of the proposal and later the estate was sold.